|Wed Feb 25 @ 7:15PM - 09:00PM|
Note Temporary Change of Day of Week and Location for General Meeting
Next GGCS General Meeting:
1510 5th Ave, San Rafael
Open to the public – admission and parking are free
This Meeting's Subject: Making your home network come together
Every so often home networks grow. Maybe it’s when you decide to get a network printer so you can print from upstairs and downstairs. Maybe you get a smart TV, a Roku, or an AV receiver, and they all want to be on the Internet. Or maybe you get a tablet but your bedroom is out of signal range. Three GGCS gurus, John King, James Gafford, and Steve Shank, will help you proceed. At February’s General Meeting they will cover:
• Extending a network using an access point.
• Extending a wireless network using a repeater.
• Extending a network using house electrical wiring.
• Common terms and concepts explained: IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, routers, access points, bridges.
• What is port forwarding and a DMZ, and why use them?
• What’s new (AC routers) and common configuration settings explained.
• Use of IPCONFIG and other commands.
• What is DHCP and what’s the alternative?
About the Meeting:
Our general meetings offer a friendly forum for people interested in computers at all user levels, from novice to expert.
Before the General Meeting, between 6:00 and 7:00 PM in the same room as the the main meeting room, there is a free Introduction to Computing Class Ask at the reception table outside the meeting room for directions.
From 6:30 to 7:00 PM Door Prize raffle tickets are given out to members, memberships are renewed, etc. You can stand around talking to people who know lots and lots about computers.
The meeting usually follows this schedule: